Wilderness - T'shuvah Part 1 (Lent 1)




On any given day, something like this happens at my house:
I walk into the bathroom where I discover the hand towel is missing, and I realize that there are clean towels in the laundry room that need to be brought upstairs. 

As I walk out of the bathroom, I spot an empty glass that needs taken to the kitchen to be washed. 

I pick up the glass, head down the stairs, find a few dishes in the sink that haven’t made it into the dishwasher. 

I rinse dishes, stack them in the dishwasher and look at the clock – 11:50 (and my wrist buzzes, because at 10 minutes before the hour, my Fitbit must remind me that I’m trying to get a minimum of 250 steps that hour – 138 to go!)

and so I walk to the mailbox, because the mail is usually delivered around 11 and that will burn up some steps.

I pick up the mail, sift through the pile, sort out the junk mail that goes right to the recycling bin and open a note from a friend…

which reminds me that on my to do list is the task of writing a thank you note to someone. 

So I head upstairs, pull out a notecard and write a quick note.

Hmm. There are no stamps in my drawer…so I walk downstairs and find my wallet, which generally has a stash of stamps. 

But also in my wallet is a receipt from a recent expense for the seminary. 

So I run upstairs to put in on my desk in the right pile. 

And then I grab my glass of water which is empty and head to the bathroom to fill it because I’m thirsty.

Where I notice there is still no clean hand towel.

And so…I head back to the laundry room. 

That, my friends, is a pretty common thing at my house.
How about yours?

I think that kind of resembles what it looks like at times to try follow God – you know…that Way we just spent five weeks talking about?

It seems to have a lot of moments when we’ve gotten off-track and we’ve forgotten our why. We’ve forgotten our ultimate destination.  We’ve forgotten that it’s all about God.

This Sunday is the first Sunday in Lent. Often in Lent we focus on the things we do wrong. The things we are not doing.  The church has historically focused on sin and repentance during these forty days.  

We’re still focusing on an idea related to repentance, but it is even more ancient. And I think it’s more helpful.

We’re focused on the idea of t’shuvah.  Which is an ancient Hebrew word.  When we think of repentance, we often think of turning away from sin.  But the word t’shuvah is just a wee bit more nuanced than that.  T’shuvah really focuses on turning…toward what is Good.  Turning toward God. 

To fully embrace the idea of t’shuvah, I think we also have to be clear about what sin is.  Sin is that which separates us from God.  Sometimes we want to be able to come up with an itemized list of what sin is and what sin isn’t.  I am sorry to tell you – it’s not quite that simple. 

Sin is that which separates us from God.  And then, t’shuvah is the work of mending that separation -- of moving back toward our relationship with God.

And for me, that connects to the discussion we’ve had over the previous five weeks – about The Way – The Way as the path we have with and toward our relationship with God.  The way to God.  The Way that Jesus showed us in his lifetime. 

So…it’s almost as if we’ve talked about the map of this journey we’re on. We’ve talked about the path.  And now, we’re talking about the times we find ourselves “off the map” or straying from the path.  The times we’re distracted from relentlessly pursuing God.  The times we get metaphorically distracted by the dirty glass, and the Fitbit and the mail and our thirst, forgetting the original plan.

Let’s start with something very important... t’shuvah – returning to the good – is rooted in our beginnings – our beginnings created by God, in which God said, “it is very good.”  So we’re not beginning as sinful beings.  We’re beginning in the beginning, when we were created in all of God’s goodness.

So let’s turn to our scriptures for this week that point us to the wilderness.

I’m a big fan of “wilderness.”  It’s one of those recurring themes in the Bible – folks get lost in the wilderness, folks wander in the wilderness, folks wrestle in the wilderness.

Ishmael, son of Hagar and Abram, grows up in the wilderness after he’s driven out of Abram’s household.  Jacob wrestles with God while sleeping beside a river in the wilderness. Moses leads the Hebrews through the wilderness over 40 years with God’s guidance.  Jesus is driven out into the wilderness after being baptized by John in the Jordan. 

Wilderness seems to be a place of “lostness,”

Lostness has its place, I think, in keeping us turning toward goodness. 
Lostness has a place, I think, in helping us know where we are and where we are NOT.  Lostness can be a place where we are keenly aware that we’re not on the right path.

In our lostness, I think that the stuff of wilderness turns on all of the warning sirens for us, it fires all the endorphins.  I think about the scenes of Snow White running through the scary woods where tree branches seem to reach out for her and tree roots slow her down. I think about all that the students of Hogwarts learned in the Forbidden Forest – sometimes you make friends in the wilderness places, friends who will help you out of a pinch.

And yet, the wildness referenced in the Bible was generally NOT a big dark forest.  It was a wide expanse of dessert where no landmark could be seen, where the sun beat down and the night were probably quite cold. Where the place where the sky met the earth was blurred…

Wilderness is also a place of discovery.  It is a place that causes us to have to slow down, think about what we’re doing. It can feel dark and isolating, and so we might feel great motivation to move along…to find our way out.  We can learn things in the wilderness…

Look at all the Hebrews learned – they learned that God could and would provide – day-by-day enough manna to eat.  They learned to trust Moses’ leadership.  

This wilderness…it has something to do with t’shuvah! It has something to do with the way we are called to turn back to goodness.

In the text from Deuteronomy is a reminder and instruction.  When you finally come into the Promised Land, remember all that has happened to you and your people over generations.  Remember what God has done for you, and make an appropriate tithe in the Temple.

Israel’s faith in God is rooted in a story of God’s faithfulness, even when the people failed to keep covenant.  God just kept showing up.  God was revealed in wilderness times again and again.

God is with us in our wilderness times.  God is with us in those times when we cannot quite remember where the path is.  Even in our lostness, there is God. Can we remember in those moments, even if we cannot see our hands before our faces for the darkness that surrounds us, that God has been with us in the past and is with us now and will be with us….and not just with us but for us?

When Jesus comes up out of the waters of the Jordan after John’s baptism, he is filled with the power of the Holy Spirit and immediately drive into the…

WILDERNESS.

At the beginning of LENT we read this story often dramatically entitled The Temptation of Christ...  And yes, it is a story about temptation.  But I want us to hold on to the thing that bears Jesus through this wilderness time. 

Jesus relies on obedience to God. 

For every temptation set before him, he cites a key piece of the Law – a key tenet in Jewish faithfulness to God. 
One does not live by bread alone.
Worship the Lord your God and serve only him.
Do not put the Lord your God to the text.

I have this image – a steely eyed Jesus looking temptation in the eye and just saying….

Only God.

And the devil shows up with the next alluring thing.

And Jesus looks temptation in the eye and says,

Only God.

Only God.

Let’s remember too that detail about Jesus’ state of being when he was driven into the wilderness.  He was filled with the Holy Spirit.

He was prayed up, you could say.
He was full of assurance that he was beloved of God.
He had just heard from God – this is my Son, my beloved, in whom I am well pleased.

He was full of the Holy Spirit.
And like the instructions given in Deuteronomy…
He was able to remember that God was with him.
That Deuteronomy passage offers some guidance.

Remember:
What has God done for me in the past?
What can I ask God to do for me now?
Who can walk with me in this Wilderness?
Can I remember how I was created for goodness?
Can I remember that I bear the image of God?
Can I give thanks for what God has done?

Sometimes our journey toward God with God as we follow The Way looks suspiciously like me trying to put a clean hand towel in the bathroom.

Except the distractions are bigger. 
We’re distracted by self-reliance.  We’re distracted by money and stuff.  We’re distracted by Facebook and the evening news and gossip.  We’re distracted by a drive to be right.  We’re distracted by putting ourselves first. We’re distracted by judgment.

It’s a wild place in the wilderness. But wilderness is where we get our loudest reminders that it is time to turn back toward God.

T’shuvah!

In this season of Lent, while we are watching for how we are or are not on The Way that leads us back to God, we can take our cues from the lostness of the wilderness.

We can remember what God has done, is doing, will do.
We remember that we are beloved.
We remember God is with us.

And…

T’shuvah!






Comments