In Light of This - The Way Part 5 (Sunday, March 3, 2019)




Sometimes I wonder, in the moment, whether the disciples had ANY CLUE about what they were witnessing in the person and the work of Jesus.

I mean…sure know about Peter, James and John dropping their fishing business when they heard “follow me.”

And we know that the crowd that followed Jesus grew and grew and grew.

And we know more and more amazing things happened – the blind regained their sight, the lame walked. Thousands were fed with a few loaves and fishes.

But here at the doorstep of Lent, did these followers really know what was happening?  Could they see the scale? The potential?

On the last Sunday before Lent begins, we observe the Transfiguration.  I hope it is a story that rings some bells.  Jesus, along with the favorites – Peter, James and John – goes up on the mountain to pray. And while there, the sleepy disciples wake up just in time to witness some of the interaction between Jesus, Moses and Elijah… who seem to be all glowy and glittery.

Once they really wake up, they suggest memorializing the event by building some sort of dwelling, presumably so that Moses, Elijah and Jesus can continue to commune.

But they are interrupted by God’s own voice, affirming Jesus’ chosen-ness and telling the disciples to listen to him.

The story goes on in what feels like a new direction, but it is important. 

They come down the mountain, and on the next day, Jesus is met by a man whose son is possessed by a demon.  While Jesus was away, the man has appealed to the disciples, but they haven’t been able to heal the boy.  Jesus chastises the faithlessness of  a “faithless and perverse generation,” and then goes on to cast out the demon.

…And all were astounded by the greatness of God, the text says.

But did they get it?
I mean, I can be amazed and still not really get it, right?

I know many of us have a powerful testimony about our “God encounter.” 

Mine involves being in the throes of a marriage falling apart and Jesus showing up in my car…speaking to me the words love, grace, integrity and peace. 

At the time, I didn’t even quite know what those words meant…in light of where I was in life.  But I took the time to write them down in a little ring-bound journal with daisies on the front. 

I had no idea those words would carry me through a divorce, seminary, remarriage, the assault of one of my children, ordination.   I had no idea the number of times that my experience of Jesus showing up and whispering the words love, grace, integrity and peace would make its way into conversations with folks like each of you about what Jesus is speaking into your life.

I had no idea.

So…the disciples come down off the mountain.  What are they to do “in light of this?” In light of Jesus having a conversation with Moses and Elijah? In light of his getting all glowy in their presence?

They don’t seem immediately impacted. I mean…the disciples failed to be able to heal the child with a demon.  And Jesus seems kind of impatient about that….

But when you are begging for a healing, can you really see all that is going on around you? I mean…your in the midst of your own trauma.  In light of his son being healed, do you suppose the man suddenly understood who Jesus was and what was happening?  Did he think, ah, yes, in light of my son’s healing, here’s what God is doing.

Friends, we’ve talked about, you’ve read about the rift in The United Methodist Church this week.

Or…maybe you haven’t.  Here’s the armchair quarterback version.

The plan that was being put forth with the support of a majority of our bishops, the plan that would keep the church together as a single denomination – a big tent that left room for a wide spectrum of understandings about LGBTQ folks and their calls to ministry – that plan failed.

The plan that passed by a narrow margin (54 votes with a total of 822 delegates voting) makes it impossible for gay persons who have a call from God to be ordained by the UMC.  The plan creates mandatory punishment for clergy who perform same gender weddings.  It requires signed statements of allegiance to the practice of homosexuality as incompatible with Christian teaching.

Who are we and what are we to do…in light of this?

My truth is I don’t actually believe homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching. 
That is not t what God has shown me in the people I’ve met. It isn’t what I discern from what I read in the biblical text.

So…I’m feeling like I’ve come away from a big moment – certainly not a mountain top glory experience of the goodness of God’s glory – but a moment in which my faith suggests God was there.

And I’m not really sure what happened.

In light of this…
I’m not really sure I can make sense of it all right now.

But experience tells me that more will unfold.

Maybe you are someone who takes great comfort in the idea that your pastors will sign an oath of obedience.
Maybe you are someone who aches because your child or grandchild or friends have been hurt by our broken conversation.

In light of this…

In light of this…

In light of this…
I am reminded that the Jesus I follow died a horrific, painful death on a cross at the hands of the Roman empire.

In light of this…
I am reminded that he rose on the third day.

In light of this…
I am reminded that he hung out with his friends again…and I’m confident that they still didn’t full understand what was happening.

And that eventually, he left them again.
But he sent the Holy Spirit.

In light of this…
In wind and in flames the church – the body of Christ in the world – was born.
To serve the least and the lost.
To teach of God’s love and mercy.
To call the stray lambs back into the fold.

In light of this…

And I’m sure there is not a darn thing our human sinfulness  - our drive for power, our insistence on control, our need to name who is in and who is out - can do to destroy the body of Christ.

It just might not be where I always thought I’d find it.

In light of this, I’m more confident than ever that I am waiting for a new thing to be born.  Because we are resurrection people. 

When something dies, something new is born.

The way cannot be seen from where we are right now.
The way unfolds before us, unknowable at times.
The way is in God’s hands.
The way requires that we trust God is in the midst of it all.

In light of this…Our work is to show up, to love lavishly, to welcome the stranger and the orphan and the widow.

God’s got the rest.

In light of this….

We gather at the table knowing the power of mystery…a place where bread and wine become the very body of our Lord Jesus Christ so that we might be his body for the whole world.









Comments